The Super Bowl will be held in a week and, and millions of fans of the game and the Half-Time commercials are getting ready to begin the party with their favorite snacks, tons of snacks, food and drinks.
According to the National Retail Federation (NRF) and Prosper Insights & Analytics’ 2020 Super Bowl survey, 194 million adults have plans for the big game. Those watching the event expect to spend an average of $88.65 on food and beverages, merchandise, and party supplies for a total of $17.2 billion nationwide.
The NRF expects 188.5 million people will watch the big game this year.
One of the favorite foods to celebrate the Super Bowl LIV weekend is chicken wings and the National Chicken Council (NCC) projects that Americans will consume a record-breaking 1.4 billion chicken wings.
This year’s wing consumption estimate is a two percent increase over 2019, meaning Americans will eat 27 million more wings during this year’s big game weekend versus last year’s, according to the NCC.
More ways to visualize 1.4 billion chicken wings:
- Every player in the NFL, including the San Francisco 49ers and Kansas City Chiefs, would have to consume 825,000 wings each to reach 1.4 billion.
- 175 million pounds of wings weighs 1,500 times as much as the entire 49ers team and three of their team buses.
- 1.4 billion wings could circle the circumference of the Earth 3 times.
- 1.4 billion wings are enough to give every attendee of every Super Bowl since 1967 each 342 wings.
- 1.4 billion wings laid end to end would stretch the entire Florida coastline, home of Super Bowl LIV, more than nine times.
- If each of the 1.4 billion wings were counted as one second, they would equal about 45 years.
Super Bowl fans will not stop eating snacks while watching the big game. New data from IRI, commissioned by SNAC International (SNAC), revealed that in total, Americans eat 90 million pounds of snacks on Super Bowl Sunday, or enough snack food to fill 17 Olympic-sized swimming pools.
Accompanying chicken wings and snacks, Super Bowl fans will be consuming more than 100 million pounds of avocados, according to data from Avocados From Mexico.