Continuing its expansion into West Texas, H-E-B has announced plans to open its first store in Lubbock in late 2020. The more than 120,000-square-foot store will be located at 114th and Quaker.
H-E-B has tailored the store’s design to reflect the look, feel and traditions unique to Lubbock, emphasizing the hometown West Texas flair. Designed in-house, several H-E-B employees working on the project, including the lead manager of design, are Texas Tech University graduates.
With construction set to begin early next year, the store will be built with environmental sustainability in mind, incorporating several energy efficient inclusions such as CO2 refrigeration units and LED lighting.
“The wait for Lubbock residents is finally over. We’re extremely excited to announce that H-E-B is coming to the Hub City,” said Scott McClelland, President of H-E-B Food & Drug. “Our locations across West Texas continue to thrive, and the Lubbock store will allow us to answer the long-standing call for an H-E-B in this community.”
The store will incorporate new digital services that give customers choices on how they shop, pay for and receive their products. This includes H-E-B Curbside, a digital service that allows customers to place orders online for pickup at the store.
The San Antonio-based retailer also will work with Favor, an on-demand delivery service H-E-B acquired in 2018, as a convenient option for delivery, including one-hour delivery of beer and wine from H-E-B.
The largest privately-held employer in Texas, H-E-B, which has more than 400 stores and 116,000 eployees in Texas and Mexico, continues to be a dominant economic driver as it expands into the Lubbock market and opens more stores in West Texas, where it has eight H-E-B locations.
“H-E-B is such an iconic Texas brand and their plan to open a store in Lubbock is exciting news. We’re here to give them a big West Texas welcome and look forward to the more than 430 jobs they will add to the local economy,” said Lubbock Mayor Dan Pope.
With a team of approximately 430 H-E-B employees, Garrett Stauder will be the Top Store Leader and manage the Lubbock store’s operations.
With positions ranging from department managers to cashiers, H-E-B will post all job opportunities for the Lubbock store at H-E-B Careers in the coming months.
“This store will allow us to better serve residents in Lubbock with H-E-B’s low prices, superior customer service, and fresh, top-quality products, all while creating jobs for our neighbors,” said Juan-Carlos Rück, H-E-B Senior Vice President of Operations. “We are proud to become part of the Lubbock community and look forward to many great years ahead, serving the area, both in our stores and through our community service.”
Customers will find all the signature features and conveniences they expect from H-E-B, with many new and expanded product selections. Some distinctive features include a fuel station with car wash, a Texas Tech collegiate shop, which will be fully stocked with licensed Texas Tech apparel and accessories, and a True Texas BBQ, H-E-B’s lauded barbecue restaurant that was recently named best barbecue chain in Texas by Texas Monthly and a top barbecue chain in the nation by Thrillist, which will include indoor and outdoor seating.
Additional Lubbock Store Highlights Include:
- H-E-B Pharmacy with two-lane drive-thru service and dietitian office offering nutritional services.
- Meal Simple department with fresh, convenient chef-inspired meals prepared in store.
- Seafood department with fresh fish and seafood, and in-house steamers for steamed seafood upon request and grab-and-go options.
- Meat market with Prime, natural, and organic meats, dry-age beef and fully-cooked options.
- Large beer and wine section with extensive craft beer selection and wine tasting kiosk.
- Deli department with expanded cheese selection.
- Cooking Connection with live demonstrations and samplings for easy recipes to make at home.
- A bakery department featuring handmade artisan breads, cakes and tortilla machine.
- Healthy Living department with bulk food items, sports nutrition products and supplements.
- H-E-B Curbside, which allows customers to place orders online for pickup at the store.
- True Texas BBQ restaurant with drive-thru, indoor and outdoor dining, and catering options.
- Texas Backyard featuring plants, pottery, grills, and outdoor essentials.
- Blooms floral department, offering online ordering and delivery service.