Tyson recalls nearly 12 million pounds of frozen, ready-to-eat chicken strips because the products may be contaminated with pieces of metal, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS).
The problem was discovered when FSIS received two consumer complaints of extraneous material in the chicken strip products. FSIS is now aware of six complaints involving similar pieces of metal with three alleging oral injury.
The company decided to expand a voluntary recall originally issued on March 21, 2019, when they learned about that additional consumers reported finding fragments of metal in chicken strip products.
“Consumers expect that the food they eat is safe. In their best interest and in an abundance of caution we’re taking quick and decisive action to expand this recall,” said in a press release Barbara Masters, DVM, vice president of regulatory food policy, food and agriculture for Tyson Foods. “Our company is taking corrective action at the location that makes these products. We have discontinued use of the specific equipment believed to be associated with the metal fragments, and we will be installing metal-detecting X-ray machinery to replace the plant’s existing metal-detection system. We will also be using a third-party video auditing system for metal-detection verification.”
The frozen, ready-to-eat chicken strip items were produced on various dates from Oct. 1, 2018 through March 8, 2019 and have “Use By Dates” of Oct. 1, 2019 through March 7, 2020.
The products subject to recall bear establishment number “P-7221” on the back of the product package. These items were shipped to retail and Department of Defense locations nationwide, for institutional use nationwide and to the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Anyone concerned about an injury or illness should contact a healthcare provider.
FSIS is concerned that some product may be in consumers’ freezers. Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase.
List of Tyson chicken strip products subject to recall:
- Tyson FULLY COOKED CRISPY CHICKEN STRIPS CHICKEN BREAST STRIP FRITTERS WITH RIB MEAT 40 oz. (2.5 lbs.) Frozen Plastic bag
- Tyson FULLY COOKED CRISPY CHICKEN STRIPS CHICKEN BREAST STRIP FRITTERS WITH RIB MEAT 25 oz. (1.56 lbs.) Frozen Plastic bag
- Tyson FULLY COOKED BUFFALO STYLE CHICKEN STRIPS CHICKEN BREAST STRIP FRITTERS WITH RIB MEAT AND BUFFALO STYLE SAUCE 25 oz. (1.56 lbs.) Frozen Plastic bag
- Tyson FULLY COOKED BUFFALO STYLE CHICKEN STRIPS CHICKEN BREAST STRIP FRITTERS WITH RIB MEAT AND BUFFALO STYLE SAUCE 40 oz. (2.5 lb.) Frozen Plastic bag
- Tyson FULLY COOKED HONEY BBQ FLAVORED CHICKEN STRIPS CHICKEN BREAST STRIP FRITTERS WITH RIB MEAT AND HONEY BBQ STYLE SAUCE SMOKE FLAVOR ADDED 25 oz. (1.56 lbs.) Frozen Plastic bag
- Best Choice Buffalo Style Chicken STRIPS MADE WITH WHITE MEAT CHICKEN CHICKEN BREAST STRIP FRITTERS WITH RIB MEAT GLAZED IN A BUFFALO STYLE SAUCE FULLY COOKED 20 oz. (1 lb. 4 oz.) Frozen Plastic bag
- Great Value Fully Cooked Chicken Strips Chicken Breast Strip Fritters with Rib Meat CRISPY 25 oz. (1 lb. 9 oz.) Frozen Plastic bag
- FOOD LION crispy chicken strips fully cooked chicken breast strip fritters with rib meat made with white meat chicken fully cooked microwaveable 25 oz. (1 lb. 9 oz.) Frozen Plastic bag
Consumers with questions should call Tyson Recalls special toll-free line at 1-866-886-8456. Customer service representatives will be available Monday through Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. CDT.