Sweets & Snacks Expo 2022, which opens today in Chicago, will be showcasing the latest products and innovations in the candy and snacks industry. Over the past 25 years, those products have hit store shelves and paved the way for developing innovative flavor trends in the industry and beyond.
The trade show, which takes place May 23-26 at Chicago’s McCormick Place, brings together qualified candy and snack retail professionals and showcases the latest product innovation. Visitors also can network with industry leaders and gain essential insights into reaching candy and snack consumers.
“For 25 years, the Sweets & Snacks Expo has been the most significant driver of candy and snack flavor and product trends in North America, and 2022 is no different. Attendees at this year’s show will be able to taste the products that will shape store shelves for weeks, months, and years to come,” said John Downs, president and CEO of the National Confectioners Association. “There’s something for everyone trending this year, whether you are looking for a new twist on a classic favorite or something brand new altogether.”
Organizers of Sweets & Snacks Expo 2022 unveiled some of the top trends to watch for this year:
- S’more variety: You won’t need a campfire to enjoy the quintessential taste of summer. S’mores-flavored treats – and everything you need to make them – are taking over this summer and throughout the year.
- Flavor intensity: Salty, sweet, or turn up the heat? There’s something for everyone looking for a more intense flavor in their favorite treat. Look out for flavor extremes: amp up that sour flavor, introduce some heat into your sweet or pick the spiciest chip.
- Newstalgia: This year, it’s all about “newstalgia” – fresh and innovative twists on the classics you know and love. It’s treating like you’ve never experienced before.
- All about the options: Everyone treats and snacks a little differently, so confectionery and snack companies are offering a range of package sizes and product types to meet every occasion.
These trends are exciting as National Candy Month approaches in June. National Candy Month bridges the confectionery sales gap between the major holidays in the spring and fall for retailers across the country and gives consumers a chance to celebrate with their favorite treats and snacks as they kick off the summer.
The 2022 Sweets & Snacks Expo by the numbers:
Historically, the Sweets & Snacks Expo has had a $21 million economic impact on the City of Chicago. This year’s show offers:
- Nearly 700 exhibitors;
- More than 110 exhibitors in the Suppler Showcase;
- Total show attendance of nearly 16,000 attendees;
- 4.5 acres of candy and snack innovation.
The event is sponsored by the National Confectioners Association (NCA), the leading trade organization for the U.S. confectionery industry, generating more than $37 billion in retail sales each year.
The confectionery industry, which manufactures chocolate, candy, gum, and mints, employs nearly 58,000 workers in more than 1,600 manufacturing facilities in all 50 states.