Northgate González Market announced that in early November, it will be celebrating the grand opening of its new large-format supermarket in Santa Ana, California.
The family-owned, Mexican-themed grocery chain is investing more than $25 million in the new store and the surrounding shopping center located at 2603 Westminster Ave. in Santa Ana.
The opening of the new supermarket is part of Northgate Gonzalez Market’s long-term commitment to the residents of the Santa Ana community, which began with the opening of its first store in 1995, the company said in a press release.
“We are excited at the Santa Ana community’s overwhelming support and response to our soon-to-be-open newest store,” said Oscar González, co-president of Northgate González Market. “The continued commitment of our grocery brand to the residents of Santa Ana provides us with an opportunity to offer local consumers an expanded, fresh, and new authentically Mexican shopping experience with a beautiful, larger, and innovative format with enhanced customer service that will exceed everyone’s expectations!”
The new supermarket, along with another one opening soon, will replace two Northgate González Market stores scheduled to close at the same time as the grand opening of the new store in November.
According to the Hispanic grocery store chain, the two smaller stores closing are located at 1623 W 17th Street and 409 E. 4th Street. To offer customers the convenience of continuing to shop at Northgate González Market, the company will offer regularly scheduled shuttle services during the holiday season from the closing store at 409 E. 4th Street to the supermarket located at 1010 S. Main Street.
“Northgate Markets has been a great partner for the residents and the City of Santa Ana,” said Santa Ana Mayor Vicente Sarmiento. “Their commitment to improving the quality of life for our residents has consistently been demonstrated by their sponsored health and cancer screening, food donations, numerous contributions to many of our non-profit organizations, and local hiring. We look forward to the opening of their two new stores and a continuation of a strong partnership.”
Moreover, the company said associates from the stores scheduled for closure would be transferred to the new locations or another store in the Santa Ana area. The new supermarket has a larger format with greater product offerings, so Northgate González Market said it would hire new associates.
When customers shop at Northgate Gonzalez Market’s new Santa Ana store, they will experience a whole new approach to the foods and flavors they are looking for: fresh, authentic Mexican foods delivered with high quality and friendly service. In addition, with an eye on convenience and the busy lifestyles of today’s shoppers, the store will also offer hundreds of new, on-the-go items to choose from, along with easy-to-navigate checkout services.
The company will also offer its customers a full-service supermarket with a large meat department, bakery, tortillería, fresh produce, and prepared foods, along with a sizable section of domestic and imported Mexican foods and grocery items to provide a Mexican homeland experience.
Northgate González Market is known for many of the signature items that it has offered for 42 years, such as marinated carne asada, chorizo, and the store’s famous made-in-store carnitas.
The new Santa Ana store will offer the following:
- Hot and Cold Food Bars: New varieties of tamales, hot soups and stews, a robust variety of fresh salsa and sauces, and self-serve hot meals for any occasion.
- An impressive Fresh Produce Selection: Featuring an extensive selection of farm-fresh fruits and vegetables from around the world, including hard-to-find spices, dried chiles, and Mexican herbs – all delivered fresh seven days a week.
- Expanded Meats and Cheeses: A specialty meat and cheese shop where customers will find one of the largest collections of authentic, fresh foods that complement all their favorite recipes and traditional dishes inspired by Mexico.
- An expanded bakery/panadería with the addition of more than 100 artisan breads, cakes, and cookies – all made hot and fresh every day.
- An extensive beer, wine, and tequila section where customers can find their favorite beverage of choice amongst one of the largest selections in Southern California.
- One of the largest seafood and ceviche offerings, including ten types of ceviche and shrimp cocktails – made with authentic recipes from Mexico- and a large fresh seafood/pescadería section offering exciting fresh catches of the week.
Northgate Market will also continue to provide the foods that made them famous – scratch-made bolillo rolls, freshly made carnitas, fire-roasted split chicken, and freshly made flour and corn tortillas.