In an inspiring ceremony held at corporate headquarters, Northgate González Market introduced the honorees of the 2nd Annual Juntos Award.
Northgate González Market’s Hispanic Heritage Month campaign recognizes 20 community leaders who are giving back to the community and awarded $40,000 to nonprofits in their name.
“When my family opened the doors to Northgate González Market 41 years ago, we committed to give back and place as a priority the health and wellness of the communities we serve,” said Miguel González, co-president of the company. “We continue to honor this legacy with the JUNTOS Award. This year we are paying tribute to many of our store associates who stood as community heroes during the COVID shutdown.”
Just this past year, Northgate González Market granted more than $650,000 and participated in nearly 1,000 nutrition/health events, partnering with more than 200 community organizations to help people with food insecurities.
During the pandemic shut down in 2020, the Familia González Reynoso Foundation awarded more than $200,000 in scholarships and community giving programs.
When COVID-19 hit, one of the honorees, Northgate Market Store Team Leader Joshua González, convinced the company to open the La Habra store’s doors early for seniors, people with disabilities, and pregnant women. This action set off a national trend, and other grocers soon followed suit. It is just one example of how the company’s associates are thinking about and helping the community.
“I applaud the tremendous efforts and commitment of Northgate Market and everything they do for the community,” said Andrew González from Champions for Health in San Diego. “I am honored to be recognized and included among this distinguished group of community leaders.”
The 2021 Honorees of the Northgate González Market Juntos Award
- Andrew Gonzalez, Champions for Health
- Isabel Becerra, Coalition of Orange County Community Health Centers
- Milan De La Rocha, AltaMed Health Services Corp.
- Andre Roberson, Power of One Foundation
- Luis Patiño, Univision Los Angeles
- Cherie Phipps, Western Association of Food Chains
- Nelida Mendoza, City of Santa Ana Councilwoman
- Hilda Solis, Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors
- Harry Sidhu, Mayor of Anaheim
- David Peñaloza, Mayor Pro Tem City of Santa Ana
- Jim Perry, City of Riverside Councilman
Northgate González Market Associates
- Salvador Montes, Store Team Leader
- Lorenzo Nava, Store Team Leader
- Joshua González, Store Team Leader
- Robert Esparza, Sr. Manager, Asset Protection Operations
- Teresa Blanco, Director of Community Engagement and Wellness
- Andrea González, Human Resources District 1 Leader
Northgate González Market Vendor Partners
- Erick Coronado, Avocados from Mexico
- Lori McPeck, General Mills
- Eva Woodby, Uetek Corporation
Nonprofit Organizations receiving the cash awards include Rosie’s Garage & Advance on to College; Autism Social Inland Empire; San Gabriel Mission & Rosemead Pony Baseball; Nueva Esperanza; Coalition of Orange County Community Health Centers; Community Foundation of Orange; Camp Ronald McDonald for Good Times; City of Hope; Second Harvest Food Bank of Orange County; Santa Ana College Foundation & WISEPlace; Healthy Kids Happy Faces; The Eli Home, Inc.; Jaguar Foundation; and Arlington Temporary Assistance.
Visit https://www.northgatemarket.com/juntos to learn more about the program and how these community heroes are making an impact.