An investigation by the National Pork Board, says that pork, specifically ribs and chops, is Hispanics and African Americans favorite choice in the summer. The study states that we enjoy more of these cuts than any other demographic group and judging by me, this is very true.
Pork is a protein that is cooked fast, does not require many ingredients to taste it and we can serve it with any companion.
Studies show that it is low in calories and high in nutrients, making it an ideal option when selecting something to grill or bake. Eight cuts of pork – from the loin and loin chops to the steak eye chops – are classified as lean by the United States Department of Agriculture.
So, having all this in mind, I got creative, I added pork to my quinoa salad bowl and I can tell you that it was tasty, refreshing, healthy and fun:
Bowl of Loin, Quinoa and Mango Steaks
2 people, 15-20 minutes
- 1-pound loin chop, in one piece
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the salad you can choose:
- 1/2 cup of quinoa, cooked
- 10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 mango fresh, ripe and cut into cubes 1/2 avocado has
- 11/2 cup of lettuce, arugula, alfalfa and / or watercress 1/4 cup radishes, carrots and / or palm hearts
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon or 1 tbsp. Sherry vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste and a pinch of coriander
- In a pan on medium high temperature, add the oil. When it is really hot, add the loin, the whole garlic cloves and brown well for 3-4 min. for each side, half covered and taking into account that you have 4 sides. The idea is for it to end up very juicy with an internal temperature of 145°.
- In the meanwhile, prepare the bowl. Anything goes here, use what you like or have available. Keep several colors and textures. Something sweet, creamy, refreshing and crispy in every bite.
- Add the olive oil and lemon juice or vinegar to your liking and mix well.
- Remove the pork, let it rest for 3 minutes and then cut it into cubes and pour it into the salad.
Doreen Colondres is a celebrity chef. Author of the book The Kitchen Does not Bite. Follow her on Facebook and Instagram @DoreenColondres and visit www.LaCocinaNoMuerde.com, www.TheKitchenDoesntBite.com