Meijer announced a donation of $1 million to local affiliates of the United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce as part of its ongoing commitment to supporting diverse businesses and communities. The donation will be divided evenly between 17 Chambers across the Midwest, said the company.
The retailer’s donation will support the Chambers’ missions of promoting the economic growth, development, and interests of Hispanic-owned businesses.
“Our Diversity & Inclusion journey focuses not just on our own team members, customers, and business partners, but on our communities at large,” Meijer President & CEO Rick Keyes said. “We look forward to seeing how the Hispanic Chambers use our gift to create intergenerational wealth and opportunity for people in our communities.”
Meanwhile, Tim Williams, Meijer’s Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion, said, “By investing in these Hispanic Chambers, we hope to empower Hispanic business owners and create an economic impact that is felt throughout our communities.”
The $1 million donation will be divided equally between the following Hispanic Chambers of Commerce that provide opportunities to Hispanic-owned businesses:
- Aurora Regional Hispanic Chamber of Commerce in Aurora, Ill.
- Economic Strategies Development Corporation in Chicago
- Greater Fort Wayne Hispanic Chamber of Commerce in Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Greater Lansing Hispanic Chamber of Commerce in Lansing, Mich.
- Greater Quad Cities Hispanic Chamber of Commerce in Moline, Ill.
- Hispanic Chamber Cincinnati USA
- Hispanic Chamber of Columbus, Ohio
- Hispanic Professionals of Greater Milwaukee
- Illinois Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Latino Chamber of Commerce of Southeastern Wisconsin
- Little Village 26th St. Area Chamber of Commerce in Chicago
- Michigan Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Northeast Ohio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Northwest Hispanic Chamber of Commerce in Hanover Park, Ill.
- Northwest Ohio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- West Michigan Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Wisconsin Latino Chamber of Commerce
This donation is part of the retailer’s 2021 end-of-year donation efforts, totaling $6.5 million that will support its key areas of giving: Hunger Relief, Diversity & Inclusion, Sustainability, and Local Giving. As part of its year-end giving, Meijer previously announced a $1.2 million gift to Boys & Girls Clubs, as well as a $300,000 donation to National Minority Supplier Development Council affiliates across the Midwest. More details on the remaining donations will be shared as information becomes available.
Meijer is a privately-owned and family-operated company, founded in 1934. Based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, the retailer operates 241 supercenters throughout Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, and Wisconsin.