When the state inspectors for the TDA (Tennessee Department of Agriculture) took a sample of the Amish Classic Colby cheese from a grocery store in Trenton, TN, they didn’t expect to set in motion a chain of events that would affect so many different products and companies alike.
According to the TDA website “On January 30, TDA took a sample of the Amish Classic Colby from a store in Trenton, Tenn. Tests conducted in the state lab confirmed the food was contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes”.
Furthermore TDA stated that “The Food and Drug Administration is investigating the source and extent of the contamination and determining how many retailers received these batches of cheese. TDA is urging anyone who purchased any of the aforementioned items not to consume them”
Amish Classic Colby is manufactured by Deustsch Kase Haus, LLC and distributed by MDS Foods under the Amish classic label. Because Deustsch Kase Haus, LLC is responsible for the manufacturing of private labels for many companies in the United States, this recall is of a very important magnitude.
The implications and ramifications of this incident is what Abasto calls a “trickle down recall effect” It is unfortunate that many companies are indirectly affected because of private labeling, distribution or using the recalled cheese on their combo products.
The companies directly or indirectly affected by this cheese recall are:
- Sargento Ultra Thin Sliced Longhorn Colby, 6.84 oz., UPC 4610000228, with “Sell By” dates of “12APR17B” and “10MAY17B”
- Sargento Chef Blends Shredded Nacho & Taco Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040041, with “Sell By” dates of “H14JUN17” and “H12JUL17”
Out of an abundance of caution, Sargento also recalled the following products because they were packaged on the same line as the affected cheese:
- Sargento Sliced Colby-Jack Cheese, 12 oz., UPC 4610000109 with “Sell By” date of “11JUN17B”
- Sargento Sliced Pepper Jack Cheese, 12 oz., UPC 4610000108 with “Sell By” dates of “12JUN17B”, “09JUL17B” and “10JUL17B”
- Sargento Chef Blends Shredded Taco Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040002 with “Sell By” dates of “H14JUN17” and “F28JUN17”
- Sargento Off The Block Shredded Fine Cut Colby-Jack Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040014 with “Sell By” date of “F05JUL17”
- Sargento Off The Block Shredded Fine Cut Cheddar Jack Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040076 with “Sell By” date of “F05JUL17”
On Sargento website the company states that “Due to the high volume of inquiries on this national cheese recall prompted by Deutsch Kase Haus, LLC, it may take us a little longer than usual to respond to your emails. And that” The safety of our consumers and our employees is our top priority at Sargento and at the very heart of all we do”
- 10.5-ounce plastic trays of “Signature Cafe Southwest Chicken Premade Salad” with any of the following “USE BY” dates: 2/13/17, 2/14/17 or 2/15/17
- 10.5-ounce plastic trays of “Signature Café Southwest Style Salad with Chicken” with any of the following “USE BY” dates: 2/14/17, 2/15/17 or 2/16/17
- 10.5-ounce plastic trays of “H-E-B Shake Rattle & Bowl Rowdy Ranch Hand (contains pork)” with any of the following “USE BY” dates: 2/17/17, 2/18/17 or 2/19/17.
- Amish Classic label with item number 55209 and sold as sliced deli cheese.
- They are also recalling lot numbers 110316V02, 110316V03 and 110316V04
- All Meijer branded “Colby Cheese” and “Colby Jack Cheese” sold Meijer in-store deli counters are included in the recall. Deli counters in the Meijer stores throughout Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky and Wisconsin sold the cheeses from Nov. 10, 2016, through Feb. 9.
- The recalled Meijer branded cheese was sold in plastic deli packaging with printed labels that have the UPC numbers of 215927xxxxxx or 215938xxxxxx — the last six digits will vary, and are determined by weight because the product is sold by weight at the deli counter.
According to the company, “Customers should stop using the product and either dispose of it or return it to the customer service desk at any Meijer store for a full refund”
As expected all companies were immediately responsive and supportive with their statements to the public.